The school is characteristic with foreign language teaching as well as STEAM creation. All English courses are arranged in group teaching. We insist on the lingual philosophy of “put listening and speaking skills first, strike a balance between reading and writing skills.” As a foreign language school, we have an exclusive use of An Integrated English Course as our textbook. The school provides a sophisticated lingual curriculum system covering English reading, English writing, English speaking, French, other languages for students. A number of We encourage anyone who is interested and gifted to have a knowledge of the second language. Besides the compulsory courses, we provide multiple school-based and college-based elective courses to promote the overall development of students. These elective courses, including Introduction to philosophy, Advanced Writing, Mindset, STEM, help students broaden their horizons, develop their integrity, build their soft skills and loft character, and inspire them to pursue further academic excellence.
SISU-FES offers a comprehensive range of English courses to improve students’ overall abilities in listening, speaking, reading and writing through a well-designed curriculum.
1) Integrated English: Based on the textbook entitled An Integrated English Course for National Foreign Language Schools, this course covers all the necessary knowledge of English required for junior high school students as stipulated in the English Curriculum Standards for Nine-Year Compulsory Education by the Ministry of Education of the P.R.C. Through the deep-going and expanded teaching by our excellent teachers, it will further enhance students’ mastery of English.
2) Original English Book Reading: Foster students’ reading comprehension ability, which is regarded as the most important quality for English learners, by extensive exposure to original English books. After a preparatory (i.e. sixth grade) year when all the students read the same materials, they will be divided, according to their performance, into different classes with different teaching materials being used when their seventh-grade year begins. This course requires students to complete the reading of 30 original English books before their ninth-grade graduation.
3) English Writing: Help students produce correct and elegant English writing. With diverse teaching contents specially designed for sixth to eighth graders according to their specific characteristics, this course enables students to improve their writing skills in a gradual manner from sentence and short story, to narrative, and then to argumentative-narrative essay. It also provides TOEFL writing instructions for those who intend to study abroad.
4) English Listening and Speaking: One purpose of learning English is to express yourself and communicate with others. To this end, the listening and speaking course offers rich opportunities, including in-class exercise, intra and inter-school competitions, for students to practice their oral expression and present their talents. At the time of ninth-grade graduation, students will be able to convey their ideas in oral English fluently and logically.
5） 英语语音语调课程：一口漂亮的英语除了流畅度外，还要有优美的语音语调。作为中预年级英语课程体系中最重要的部分之一，该课程努力让孩子的语音语调向native speaker靠拢。
5) English Pronunciation & Intonation: Pure pronunciation & intonation, beside fluency, is a must for beautiful oral English. As an important part of the English program, this course for sixth graders aims at getting students as close as possible to native speakers in this regard.
6) English Vocabulary: The importance of vocabulary, the cornerstone in English learning, is self-evident. The vocabulary course makes it easy to memorize English words by systematic explanation of roots and affixes so that students can better understand how such parts form different words.
Featured Optional Programs
Second Foreign Language Program: A wide range of language courses covering German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, etc., are available for interested and capable students at SISU-FES. Junior high school students may acquire the basic knowledge of their second foreign language and get a taste of the cultures of different countries through this course series.
Liberal Arts Program: As a supplement to the regular liberal arts curriculum, this program is designed to enhance students’ humanistic quality through the improvement of their philosophical thinking and cultural literacy. The program includes philosophical courses such as the basics of philosophy and advanced writing, and special lectures on the thoughts of Pre-Qin Scholars, and logical courses like mind maps.
Science Program: Students with special talent for science may choose from our physics, mathematics, and chemistry competition instruction program. For lower grade students, the science experiment program will attract and maintain their interest in the world of science, and inspire their curiosity, thus laying the foundation for their future study.
Robotics Programming: As a language-oriented school, SISU-FES believes that both human language and machine language will be dominant in the future. Our school offers robotics programming programs of two levels, i.e. beginner’s level and advanced level, for students to enjoy the fun of programming.
Fine Arts Program: This program provides courses such as musical theatre, drama, and painting. Thanks to the support of the Shanghai Institute of Visual Arts, professional teachers graduated from the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama in the UK are available for the musical theatre course. Students will learn how to present a perfect musical by combining the three important skills of singing, dancing and performing. This program will help build a sense of teamwork and shape a sound personality in addition to the improvement of students’ artistic accomplishment.